Thursday, November 12, 2015

Educational Philosophy

I believe that music is not just entertainment, but a form of expression and communication. My entire career will be built upon this statement. So many people use music in their daily lives as inspiration, distraction, remembrance, worship, and so many others, but so few of us listen music for the sake of listening. It is my goal to instill a love of music in all of my students. I believe that if your ensemble truly loves music, then the competition aspect of music will follow with ease. Students will practice harder and longer and will come to rehearsal eager to perform at the highest level possible, and they will always strive to be better.


I believe that teaching is a relationship. You must do your best to know your students. Music educators are lucky in that they get the same children for years in a row. We can learn so much about them! My job will be to teach students the music and lead them into contests where they score highly, but I will be there for my students. Music is credited by so many people in helping them through tough times, and I will do my best to make sure the music room/band hall/rehearsal hall/etc. will be a safe and loving place for my students.

I believe my studying of composition will give me an edge in the business. I know how to study my students' playing abilities and I will be able to tailor all of the music I write so that students will always be included and give the best performance they can. And when all students get to play, you have a happy ensemble, and a happy ensemble has nowhere to go but up!

No comments:

Post a Comment